A package of projects to improve the Route 29 corridor north of Charlottesville was approved by the Commonwealth Transportation Board June 18, 2014, in the 2015 - 20 update to the Six-Year Improvement Program (SYIP).
The improvements include four existing projects that received additional funding to complete construction:
- Route 29/Route 250 interchange improvements
- Route 29 widening, Polo Grounds Road to Towncenter Drive
- Adaptive traffic signal control technology
Three new projects were also added, with full funding to complete construction:
- Route 29/Rio Road grade-separated intersection
- Berkmar Drive extension, from Hilton Heights Road to Towncenter Drive
- Hillsdale Drive South, from Hydraulic Road to Holiday Drive
Funding for study and preliminary engineering for improvements to the intersection of Hydraulic Road and Route 29 is included in the Route 29 Solutions package. At the request of Charlottesville, VDOT agreed to include the extension of Hillsdale Drive south to Holiday Drive in the Hydraulic Road intersection study.
The transportation board also approved full funding for a second passenger train between Lynchburg and Washington, D.C.